Your dream is to live in New York City. But, we all know how New York is expensive can be. The question is can you move to New York on a budget. Now, you are determined to fulfill your dream, no matter what. On the other hand, you want to go cheap, within the budget. If you are creative, you can achieve that, if you don’t then follow our tips.
First of all, you can save money on a lot of things, but on some of them you can’t be cheap, and you should do them right. Such as, hiring a reliable moving company. For example, here are a lot of reasons to hire Brooklyn moving services, but these are some of them:
- Your belongings are too valuable to carry them alone. You can break them easily. If you want to move to New York on a budget, find best-rated movers in Brooklyn, New York.
- You should have a good transport vehicle if you don’t have it, then you are putting your stuff in danger. Also, highly trained staff and appropriate tools are important too. Movers will have all the right equipment.
- Save time for other important moving issues – Why worry and make it harder, when you can find affordable movers too.
- Valuables are insured – If they break it, they buy it.
How to move to New York on a budget? Can you afford it?
Find a good location
You don’t have to be in Manhattan, for example. But, if it is your dream, then Inwood is the cheapest neighborhood in Manhattan. Median rent is 1850 U.S. dollars. There are a lot of cheap neighborhoods in NYC. Crown Heights is the nice neighborhood in Brooklyn. There you have good access to the 4/5 and 2/3 subway lines, and nightlife is great too. You also can choose between Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. There you can find a beautiful new home, for sure. Do not hurry, it’s normal to spend a few months looking for an apartment.
You can find a roommate
If your budget is not big, then try to find a roommate. Cutting your high rent in half or third will be much easier for your wallet. And, on the other hand, you will not be alone in this big city. When your goal is to move to New York on a budget, you must fulfill that.
Lower your rent by finding a roommate
Don’t buy too many pieces of furniture
You can bring your furniture from previous home. Take the measures of your new apartment, and separate things that can fit. Furniture is also expensive in NYC. Also, you can rent a furniture storage in Brooklyn or fine art storage, for example.
Avoid expensive grocery stores and restaurants
Of course, sometimes you have to go out to eat. But, mostly try to cook at home. Also stay away from packaged, pre-washed vegetables, and look for veggies at the local grocery store. Skip the bar and grab a bottle of wine from Trader Joe’s. Another solution is to find a good happy hour spot. New York City has a delicious dollar slice pizza.
Buy a weekly or monthly unlimited ride pass
It is depending on how often you take the subway or a bus. The cost for a 10-mile cab ride across bridges in NYC in about 60$, but a month unlimited pass on the MTA will run you $121, and a one-way ticket is $2.75.
Calculate the costs
Before the moving, calculate how much money you will need per month in New York City, and what is your budget. The average New York costs are:
- A single person costs per month, without rent, is $1,250 and for a four-person family is $4,550.
- Basic utilities are about $125- electricity, heating, water, cooling, and garbage. These are the costs for 85m2 the apartment.
- Fitness club for one person is $75 (one month).
- If you have kids that is an additional cost. Preschool or Kindergarten, monthly for one child is $1,900, but primary school, yearly for one child is about 30,200.
Renting or buying an apartment
When you want to move to New York on a budget, the first and most important thing is to find a place to live. If you want to stay in New York for the rest of your life, then try to buy a house or condo. Of course, if you can afford it. But, if you cannot, don’t worry. New York has many apartments to rent.
The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center is $3,200. But, if you go a little further from the city center, the rent for the same size apartment is $2,000. On the other hand, if you want to buy it, the average price per square meter to buy an apartment in the city center is $13.550 and outside of the city center is $6,800. Decide what you want and what you can afford now.
Average monthly net salary in New York after tax is 4,091 U.S. dollars.
Calculate your costs for a month before you move to New York
Can you move to New York on a budget? Yes, you can! Just be creative and prepared, and calculate everything. New York is center of the world, it is the city full of opportunities. If you can make it there, you can make it everywhere. We hope this article helped you to understand how much are the costs of living re in NY. if you want to hear someone’s experience with moving to NY, here are some videos. Good luck!